Advertisement

Main Ad

Transitive and Intransitive verbs

 

 Transitive verbs demand an object to receive the action, an object can be a noun, phrase, or pronoun that refers to the person or thing that is affected by the action of the verb.

In the following sentences, admire, maintain, face, and love are transitive verbs:

I admire your courage.

We need to maintain product quality.

I couldn’t face him today.

She loves animals.

 

In order to identify a verb either transitive or intransitive , it’s first necessary to understand what the object of a verb is.
Take a look at these two simple sentences:


My mother likes tea.
My mother laughed.

‘My mother’ is the subject in both sentences. In the first sentence ‘like’ is the verb and ‘tea’ is its object. ‘Like’ is therefore a transitive verb, because it has an object.
In the second sentence, the verb is ‘laugh’. It has no object and is therefore an intransitive verb.

 

Here are some more examples of transitive verbs

The girls carry water to their village.

Juan threw the ball.

She loves rainbows.

Lila conveyed the message.

The man stole a bike.

I am looking for my passport

 

Intransitive verbs

We arrived around midday.

She sneezed loudly.

We waited but nobody came.

He stood in the corner.

 

Monotransivive and Ditransitive Verbs

A Ditransitive Verb is one that takes both a direct object and an indirect object. E.g.: He gave her the letter. ('The letter' is the direct object, what he gave, and 'her' is the indirect object, the person he gave it to. This sentence can also be written 'He gave the letter to her'.)

Following are the ditransitive verbs

she wrote her friend a letter.

I gave him some water

We sold them our house

My sister cooked us food

Post a Comment

0 Comments