Advertisement

Main Ad

Cracked Pots

 

A water-bearer carried two large pots, one hung on each end of a pole which he carried across his neck. One pot was perfect, but the other had a crack in it. Naturally, by the time the bearer reached his master's house from the stream, the cracked pot would be half empty. After several months, perceiving its imperfection, the cracked pot spoke to the bearer one day, just before he could lower it in the stream.

"I am ashamed of myself, and want to apologize to you. You have been kind enough to keep me all this while, but on my part I have not been able to give full value for your efforts," said the pot miserably”.

"I am sorry that you're feeling that way, but you have no reason to be disheartened," said the bearer reassuringly. "When we walk back to the master's house, I want you to pay special attention to the pathway."

The cracked pot did, and when they arrived at the gate of the master's house, the bearer asked if it had noticed anything. "I saw the pathway lined with a variety of flowers" said the observant pot.

"You're right. And it is you who are responsible for them," said the bearer. "I had sowed seeds along the path, and while we walked back, thanks for the water dripping from your crack, you provided them nourishment. The master is delighted with the flowers that I pluck for his table."

Then the pot understood that even a crack can be put to good use and it felt happy at being of service in the condition it was. It is easy to see who we are in the story. We all have cracks. In some way or the other we are all cracks. But some of us do not realize this. We are carried away by delusions and grandeur. We think we are 'great' because of our positions or power, money or wealth, our intelligence or gifts. We forget that we are fundamentally cracked, simply because we are humans.

The Cracked Pot Short Story - Best Motivational Moral Stories

Post a Comment

0 Comments