Advertisement

Main Ad

Be Your Own Judge and Be Happy

Dionysius was the king of Syracuse. At that time Syracuse was the richest city in Sicily. The king lived in a fine palace where there were many beautiful and costly things. Naturally, there were many in Syracuse who envied his good fortune. One of these was Damocles, one of Dionysius' best friends. He was always saying to Dionysius: "You must be the happiest man in the world."

One day Dionysius, tired of hearing such talk, said: "Perhaps you would like to change places with me." "Oh, I would never dream of that," said Damocles. "But if I could only have your riches and your pleasure for one day, I should never want for any greater happiness." Dionysius agreed to the suggestion of Damocles.

And so, the next day, Damocles was led to the palace and all the servants were instructed to treat him as their master. They dressed him in royal robes, and placed on his head a golden crown. He sat at the head of a table in the banquet hall, and rich foods were set before him. There were costly wines, beautiful flowers, rare perfumes, and delightful music and he rested himself among the soft cushions. "Ah, this is the life," he sighed to Dionysius, who sat at the other end of the table. "I've never enjoyed myself so much."

As he raised a cup to his lips, he lifted his eyes to the ceiling, he saw above his head a sword, held to the ceiling by only by a single horsehair. Frightened that any move might snap the thin thread and bring the sword down, he sat frozen in his chair.

"What's the matter, my friend?" asked Dionysius, "You seem to have lost your appetite."

"That sword! That sword!" whispered Damocles. "Don't you see it?"

"Of course, I see it," said Dionysius. "I see it everyday. It always hangs over my head, and there is always the chance someone or something may cut the slim thread. Perhaps one of my advisers will grow jealous of my power and try to kill me. Or some may spread lies about me, to turn the people against me. If you want to be a leader, you have to accept these risks. They come with the power,"

 

Damocles said: "I see now that I was mistaken, and you have much to think about besides your riches and fame. Please take your place, and let me go back to my own house."

And as long as he lived, Damocles never again wanted to change places, even for a moment, with the king.

 

Standard of God's judgment of every person is relative to the talent given: the greater the gifts, the greater the responsibility. Many people by external standards will be a "success". They will own nice houses, eat well, dress well, and, in some cases, perform socially useful work. Yet, too few people are putting themselves on the line, getting involved in something noble enough for their talent that is worth living.

Post a Comment

0 Comments