Advertisement

Main Ad

Amoretti, Sonnet 34 by Edmund Spenser summary

 

This sonnet describes a break in the relationship of the poet with his wife and how he is left astray(lost) waiting for her forgiveness. Spencer uses the analogy of a ship losing its way during a storm to convey the idea of the separation between him and his wife.

Like as a ship, that through the ocean wide,
By conduct of some star, doth make her way,
Whenas a storm hath dimmed her trusty guide,
Out of her course doth wander far astray:
So I, whose star, that wont with her bright ray
Me to direct, with clouds is overcast,
Do wander now, in darkness and dismay,
Through hidden perils round about me placed;
Yet hope I well that, when this storm is past,
My Helice, the loadstar of my life,
Will shine again, and look on me at last,
With lovely light to clear my cloudy grief.
Till then I wander careful, comfortless,
In secret sorrow, and sad pensiveness.

 

The poet metaphorically expresses his condition in the poem by using a striking image of a ship.  He sails through the wide ocean with the guidance of some star; but when that star is dimmed by a storm, the ship goes astray from her course and thus loses the true direction. His state is similar; the bright star that used to direct his way is now overcast with clouds, and I wander in darkness and dismay with hidden dangers surrounding me all around. Yet I am hopeful that when this storm is over, my Helice, the pole star of my life will shine again and look on me with lovely light and the clouds of grief will disappear. Till then I wander, full of worries, comfortless in secret sorrow and pensiveness

As the ship goes astray when the pole stars disappear behind the clouds, so is the condition of the lover whose guiding star has disappeared leaving him in the stormy seas. Clouds of doubts, indecision and indifference have dimmed her sight. Perhaps she has lost all interest in him. He is surrounded by darkness and frustration.

 

 

Post a Comment

0 Comments