Advertisement

Main Ad

Functions of Modal Auxiliaries

 

Modal auxiliaries express obligation, possibilities, permission or ability in a sentence by helping the main verb.

Modal auxiliaries are as follows

Will                    Would

Shall                  Should

Can                   Could

May                   Might           Must

Need                 Dare

Used to             Ought to

Functions of Modal auxiliaries

1.       For expressing ability

a.       She can dance .

b.      I can help you.

2.       For expressing a possibility

a.       They can reach there on time.

b.      Train shall reach at 7 am.

3.       To seek permission for doing something

a.       Can I please go to the picnic.

b.      May I come in.

c.       Can I use your car.

4.       For making requests

a.       Could you please help me to finish this task.

b.      Could you please repeat the point.

5.       For identifying future possibilities which depend upon a present task.

a.       If he practiced more, he could win the swimming competition.

6.       For expressing far possibilities (only less chance to occur)

a.       He might come tomorrow.

b.      Shinto might me the manager in the next year.

7.       For expressing compulsion or prohibition

a.       You must bring the text in the class

b.      We must not go there

c.       You must reach on time tomorrow

8.       For making polite question/ request/ permission

a.       Shall I drop you?

b.      Shall I do this?

9.       For suggesting

a.       You should try this ice cream! It’s absolutely delicious.

b.      Shall we confirm the destination?

1   For semi-formal request

a.       Will you please accompany me

 


Post a Comment

0 Comments