Advertisement

Main Ad

Parataxis and Hypotaxis


 Parataxis
a literary device in which there is a juxtaposition of short, simple independent clauses without subordinating conjunctions (while, that until) .

 e.g. 1) I came, I saw, I conquered
        2) twenty two years old, weak, hot,frightened
        3) it was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age foolishness (A Tale of Two cities) 

 

Hypotaxis
In hypotaxis, different clauses are linked together by using words like although, unless, because, while, whenever etc and one clause is subordinate (
dependent) to another. 


E.g. 1)While he cooked my breakfast, I slept. 

       2) although you are my sister, you are intelligent  

      3) when I was nine I wrote the novel.

 

Post a Comment

0 Comments